Tuesday, April 26, 2011

An Old Woolen Blanket gets a Makeover

When we bought our summer cottage a few years back, it came furnished and the previous owners left some old blankets, curtains etc.   We threw most of them out but I was reluctant to throw out this old woolen blanket.  I took it home last fall with the intent to make over this blanket and give it a new life.

So, this week, as we prepare to open the cottage for the summer, I dug out the blanket.  I hummed and hawed over how to best manage it.  Then while looking at the raggy ends, I decided surging them off was the way to start.  I surged off one ragged end.  The other end, that had a sizeable hold in it near the end.  I surged off about 6 inches from that end.  It's more square now than long, but I really like it.   Just like a quilt, I made a 2.5" binding and added it to the blanket, just like a quilt.  

To  complete the blanket makover,  I re-stitched on the original label that was just hanging on by a few threads.  The label says this blanket came from the Strathroy Woolen Mills in Ontario.

I think I'm going to enjoy this blanket as we snuggle on the cool mornings at the cottage.

3 comments:

paulette said...

Good for you...I would have cut it up...dyed it and turned it into a penny rug!! I like your cozy blanket better!! haha
P

Jane said...

Hello!

I just bought a similar blanket in pale green - with similar issues to yours. What a wonderful idea - I think it will definitely be the way to go with mine!

Jane

Anonymous said...

I have the same blanket, same label, in blue - it belonged to my parents and I'm guessing was a wedding present in 1948, but would like to know if anyone can date these plaid woollen blankets with this particular label more precisely. Nice job of the redo!