Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Presenting Twin Baby Quilts

After a days rest from Grammie Camp, I loved sitting down at the machine to stitch. 

This week, I finished two baby quilts that I had started in June.  These babies are cousins to the triplets.  The babies were born in July, and even though I had the two quilt tops done, I couldn't finish until we knew the names.  So now that we know their names and Grammie Camp is behind us, it was time to get them done.     {My arms are not that hairy....in this photo, my hubby is helping me close the safety pins. :) }

Finishing the baby quilts took longer than I thought.... Earlier this week, I was thinking that I can get them done in a day..... Well, in actuality it was 3 days.     I tend to under estimate how long things take.  Do you do that?   If it was just the sewing part, ok.... but I seem to forget the time it takes to iron, to layer, to pin (and you know I'm a avid pinner), to trim, to square up, etc. 

But they're done now and they'll be sent to newborns Sebastian and Tristan in Ontario this week.


Here you can see that I free motion stippled in the white part and echo quilted around the letters of the name.  Twice.  Once inside the edge of the blue letters, and once just on the outside.

For the argyle blocks, using my stitch in the ditch foot, and with the needle position moved over to the left a couple of notches, I simply top stitched on both sides of the light blue "X".  It was pretty continuous to sew.

I love this pattern for a baby boy.  It's by Natalia from Piece and Quilt.  You can find the free pattern here on the Moda Bake shop.   It's so modern looking.   There is a similar quilt done in girl colors.  I'm just itching for somebody to have a girl so I can make one in pink and browns.

9 comments:

Pokey said...

Wow, two very cute quilts! Don't you love adding their names? Their Momma is going to love them!
:-}pokey

Karen said...

They're adorable Gail! I love the font you chose for the names. I am curious as to how you quilted these? The new parents will be thrilled to receive such personalized gifts.

Donna's chitchat said...

You are amazing... those two little quilts are adorable!
I am trying to put Caleigh's name on the rag blanket I am making and I know it won't look half as good as these sweet blankets!

Vicki W said...

Those are soooooo cute!

Mary Johnson said...

These are very cute and yes, I'm always underestimating how much time it's going to take me to finish something.

Anonymous said...

I just love this pattern and this quilt!

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

They look FABULOUS!!!!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Barb said...

Wow what beautiful quilts you've made!! Lucky babies!!

The first two quilts I made were for my niece's twins in St. Andrews NB!!

Thank you for the link to the pattern!!

cpm said...

OH MY GOD!!! They are BEAUTIFUL! How I wished I would have known you back when Abbey and Michael were born!!! lol!