Thursday, January 19, 2012

Briggs & Little Wool Yarn - To Wash or not to Wash.

To pre-wash or not to pre-wash, I should say, that is the question?   I love using Briggs & Little yarn.  I have a closet full of it.   The problem is that it's coarse texture is so hard on your hands.  I was proudly wearing my new shawl today when I visited the St. Dunstan's Quilters.   We got on the topic of knitting and one of the quilters said that all B&L yarn could and should be washed before being used.    What do you think of that?  I had never heard of such a thing...

There were a couple of suggestions on how to do it.   Since I really want to make another Rococo Shawl, I decided I would try the pre-washing of the wool.  I will use the suggestions of the ladies of course.      

It needs to be gently washed/agitated, while still in the skein.   Then roll in a bath towel and squeeze so that the towel takes up most of the moisture.   Then let skein hang over the end of a quilt rack, or ironing board until it's dried.     I will be away for the whole week next week, so it will have a week to dry.  

When I'm back I'll report back on what I think of the texture...

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I have never heard of pre-washing wool - it will be interesting to hear if it makes a difference.
Your shawl turned out beautifully by the way!