Thursday, December 17, 2015

Fusing Maple Leaves

 I tested out my sewing den a bit yesterday and today.    I found out I wasn't a fan of the big office chair.   A spare kitchen chair seems to be better.

I've been itching to get at my Oh Canada quilt.  I led a class last month at our guild where we prepared 10 flag kits, and did a fabric swap.   I brought my kit of fabrics all nicely cut and stored in baggies by color.    I knew it would be my first project here.

I decided to work on the 10 maple leaves as my first project.  It wasn't very much sewing, and an easy project to work on in short spurts.

After piecing a chunk of fabric sized to fit each of the different colors of the maple leaves, I fused the traced leaf onto the back of the fabric.     This afternoon, I spent some time on the warm lanai, cutting out the 10 fused maple leaves.

They are calling for cooler weather here in Florida in the next few days, so I'm sure I'll have a chance to work on the side sections of the flags.

I'm done sewing for the day, but I did get a chance to lay out a couple of the colors on the ironing board.

For these side pieces, I'm doing a bit more contemplation on the placement of the colors, and how to sub-cut the strip sets to create a little variety and interest.

Stay tuned..

2 comments:

Dolores said...

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Kathy said...

Merry Christmas to you and Mert Gail! Enjoy your second celebration!